Saturday, December 13, 2008

House of Dark Shadows


I don’t normally read fiction for young adults or juvenile fiction but thought that the book House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo (2008 Thomas Nelson) looked like an interesting one. It was much more than I’d anticipated. This book tells the story of fifteen year old Xander and his family who move from their happy life in L.A. to a small town no one has ever heard of. At first glance their new home seems like any other abandoned house but then strange things start to happen and before he knows it Xander is finding secret passages and rooms with doors that lead to strange (and dangerous) lands. When something happens to one of the family members and Xander learns the truth about the house will it be too late to change things?
This book kept me on the edge of my seat and the end kept me wanting more of it. The only thing that I didn’t like about this book is that it’s supposed to be written for juvenile readers but many of the film references are older movies that today’s teens may have never heard of. All in all it was a very good book and I look forward to reading the rest of the series (and in sharing them with my own teenager).

No comments: