Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Seeds of Change Organic Amantani Whole Grain Blend Quinoa & Wild Rice

Seeds of Change is one of my favorite companies that produces organic products. Their organic chocolate bars are to die for! I've recently discovered their line of organic rice & whole grain mixes. I'm not usually one to purchase boxed mixes for anything, but the Persia Seven Grain Pilaf caught my eye a couple weeks ago while I was shopping so I thought I'd give it a try. It was perfect. So much so that today I picked up a different blend. I decided to go with the Amantani Whole Grain Blend Quinoa & Wild Rice.

I followed the directions of one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and adding the grain mixture to it, heating until they all turn golden brown. The only problem I had with this step is that the smaller grains (quinoa) were popping out of the pan like tiny pieces of popcorn. I had to stir it continually to keep control of it.

Then I added the water and ran into the same situation that I faced the first time I made something from this product line. When you've spent several minutes cooking something in hot oil and then add two cups of water the mixture almost explodes from the pan in a furious boil. If you're not expecting this you could get burned. It's unfortunate that there isn't an easier way to make this other than the microwave, because the flavor is unusual but good. Nutty from the different grains and spicy from the seasoning packet, this is a step out of the ordinary. A nice product to have on hand when you want something a little different.

You can find this product in the organic foods aisle of your supermarket.

I was not compensated at all for this review. It's a product I purchased and thought I'd share.

No comments: