Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cottonwood Whispers

Cottonwood Whispers by Jennifer Erin Valant is the sequel to the award winning debut Fireflies in December. In this volume we return to 1936 with Jessilyn and Gemma to explore more of their segregated world.

I found it interesting to read about the friendship between the white Jessilyn and the black Gemma, who they were allowed to be seen with or talk to. The story quickly takes a turn when a little girl is struck by a car and a friend of the girls is accused of this crime which he insists he didn't commit. Jessilyn is concerned with Gemmas reaction to the crime and finally the shocking truth comes out.

This story captivated me and whisked me back to a time when life was slower and a little more simple. Made me yearn for a long summer afternoon with nothing to do but sip some lemonade on a big porch.

Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

No comments: